NEW YORK (AP) -- The breakup of the Big East's football and basketball schools appears to be on the…
No. 10 Louisville Rolls Past DePaul
Young led all scorers with 22 points on seven of 19 from the floor. Melvin added 20 points of his own. Yet DePaul got very little offensive contributions from the rest of their cast.
The Blue Demons went a miserable one of nine from beyond the arc. Sophomore Jamee Crockett was 0 for five and Moses Morgan was two for seven from the floor.
"I was more disappointed in our shot selection," said DePaul coach Oliver Purnell. "Those just weren't on balance shots. Those were difficult to make."
The Blue Demons were inpatient on offense and rushed many shots.
"You can't take bad shots and expect to shoot at a high percentage," Purnell said.
The Cardinals were led by 17 points from Russ Smith who reached the 1,000 point mark tonight. Peyton Siva scored 16 points, while Chane Benahan and Gorgui Dieng added 10 apiece.
Montrezl Harrell came off the bench to contribute 11 points for U of L.
The Blue Demons travel to the warmer climes of Tampa, Florida on Sunday to take on the South Florida Golden Bulls.
- Wednesday was the 59th meeting between the two programs... Louisville leads the series, 38-21... the Cardinals have won 10 straight games against the Blue Demons.
- Cleveland Melvin moved from 17th to 15th on DePaul's all-time scoring list... he passed Stanley Brundy (1985-89) for 16th and Tyrone Corbin (1981-85) for 15th.
- Melvin scored at least 20 points in back-to-back games for the first time since three straight games from Nov. 21-30...he has 10 games this season of at least 20 points and 27 in his career.
- Brandon Young passed Jim Lamkin (1951-55) and moved into 21st place on DePaul's all-time scoring list... he also moved from ninth to seventh on the all-time assists chart.
- Young scored at least 20 points for the eight time this season and 21st time in his career.
- With the loss, DePaul has now dropped 42 straight games against ranked opponents.
CuseNation.com Recommended Stories
Michigan: Brandon Resigns, Hackett Interim AD
Michigan President Mark Schlissel officially announced the resignation of athletic director Dave Brandon Friday. Schlissel appointed Jim Hackett as the interim AD with the plan moving forward to hire…Read More
Hoops: Where are the Top Recruits Going?
The initial basketball signing period begins in less than two weeks and there are currently 22 players in Scout.com's 2015 top 100 still uncommitted. Who are those 22 players considering and who will…Read More
Catch Big Fall Bass on Natural Lakes and Rivers
Check out some great tips for bass fishing up north as the water cools on its way into winter. There is some great fishing to be had right now before it gets too cold.Read More
10 Creepy Trail Cam Pics For Halloween
Most of us would prefer to be sitting in our treestand on Halloween, waiting for a rutting buck to wonder past, than following our kids from house to house scrambling for treats. Here are a 10 spooky…Read More
2015 NFL Mock Draft 1.0
We're at the halfway mark of the NFL season, so here's our first crack at a mock draft. Hey, Oakland Raiders, you're on the clock!Read More